Learn How to Play Russian Rummy
Table of content:
- What is Russian Rummy?
- How to play russian rummy?
- Russian rummy rounds
- Scoring parameters
- Variants of rummy available on GetMega
Rummy is very popular worldwide and also in India. Variations of the rummy card game are played in various parts of the world. We at GetMega, are bringing to you some of these different versions of rummy through a series of articles. In this article, we will explain Russian rummy.
We have also covered other variations such as Indian rummy, gin rummy, California rummy and also the basics of a rummy card game in separate articles. Please click here to read them on our blog.
GetMega is an amazing platform that lets you play Rummy with friends & family on video-chat with real money.
Sounds fun, isn't it? Download the Rummy app now!
Russian Rummy is a fun and interesting version of the traditional rummy card game along with some features of the contract rummy.
The object of this game is to try to complete all 12 hands first. To do this, you have to arrange all the cards in hand into the required combinations of the russian rummy rounds.
No. of players and card decks
Russian rummy can be played by 2 to 5 players and uses 2 decks of 54 cards each (52+ 2 jokers) i.e., a total of 108 cards.
If the number of players is more than 5, then add 1 deck for each 2 additional players. Eg- for a game of 9 players you need 2+1+1= 4 decks.
Russian rummy rules
- 13 cards are dealt to each player
- The remaining cards are placed face down on the table (stockpile). The top card is placed face up beside it (forming the discard pile).
- Players can take cards either from the stockpile or from the discard pile
- You end your turn by discarding 1 card
- You have to meld the cards according to the Russian rummy rules. The combinations of the Russian rummy rounds are mentioned in a separate section.
- To win the contract, you have to lay down all required combinations of the Russian rummy rounds at the same time.
- Once you have completed your contract, you can add cards to another player’s meld
For example, adding a 8◆ to another players’ sequence 4◆ 5◆ 6◆ 7◆.
- You can also replace a wild card used by another player with the actual card. For example- 3◆4◆Joker 6◆ you can replace the Joker with 5◆.
- The joker has to be used in the same round.
- You cannot replace your own wildcards.
- You can make only 1 contract per round and cannot go ahead with the next contract in the same round.
- If you are unable to make the contract in the round, then you have to continue it in the next round.
- Each russian rummy round ends when one player discards the last card.
Russian rummy has 12 hands. In each Russian rummy round, you have to make particular combinations, or contracts, in order to complete that hand. The list of contracts as per the russian rummy rules is-
- In Russian rummy, the 2s and jokers are wildcards and can be used to represent any card.
- Aces are both high and low cards.
- The cards in the sequences (runs) must be of the same suit.
The player laying down all the cards is the winner of the round. However, the combinations required by russian rummy rules have to be formed.
- If more than 1 player completes the 12th russian rummy round in the same hand, then the player with lowest score wins.
- The winner gets 0 points. The other players calculate the points of cards remaining in hands which becomes the score.
- At the end of 12 rounds, the player with the lowest score is the winner.
The points for the cards is:
- Wildcards (2s) and joker= 50 points
- Ace= 20 points
- Face Cards (King, Queen, Jack)= 10 points
- 3-10= 5 points each
GetMega has a Points Rummy variant which has a maximum of 80 points per hand. It is very easy to sign-up. You can sign-up using his existing Facebook login & phone number and then be required to complete KYC.
KYC is mandatory to process and requires only an Aadhar card and PAN card to be uploaded in the app.
With this our article on Russian rummy comes to an end.
Just like this game, GetMega has 12+ games on the app including Rummy and Hold'em Poker. With 10,000+ daily players on the app, you can win up-to Rs 1,00,000 everyday. Download the Rummy app now!