Gin Rummy - The Card Game
Table of content:
- What is gin rummy?
- How to play Gin rummy?
- Gin rummy rules
- How many players can play?
- Discard pile and melding in rummy
- Best Gin rummy Player
- What are the scoring parameters in Gin rummy rules?
- Gin straight cards
- Why should you play rummy on GetMega?
Rummy is very popular worldwide and also in India. Variations of the rummy card game are played in various parts of the world. We at GetMega, are bringing to you some of these different versions of rummy through a series of articles. In this article, we will explain about gin rummy. This version is very popular particularly in the United States.
GetMega is an amazing platform that lets you play Rummy with friends & family on video-chat with real money. Sounds fun, isn't it? Download the Rummy app now!
Gin rummy, also called gin, was created in the 1900s in the United States.
This is a very fast game and helps to improve concentration, memory, and strategy planning skills.
The goal of gin rummy is to get points. The player reaching the agreed number of points (usually 100) first wins the game.
- Each player draws 1 random card. The player getting the lowest deals.
- 10 cards are dealt to each player
- The rest of the cards are placed face down on the table (stockpile). The top card of the stock pile is placed face up next to it. This becomes the discard pile.
- The non-dealer player goes first and can opt to draw from the discard pile.
- If the player passes then you (the dealer) can take from the discard pile. If you also pass then your opponent starts the game by drawing the top card from the stockpile.
- During their turns, both players can opt to draw from either the stock pile or the discard pile.
- Each player must discard 1 card at the end of their turn.
- You have to try to meld as many cards as you can and remove “deadwood”
- The player melding all their cards and removing deadwood wins the round. This is called “Going Gin”
- If there are only 2 cards remaining in the stock pile then the hand is immediately cancelled. There are no points and the cards are dealt again.
The aim is to improve your hand by melding the cards and removing deadwood.
- Deadwood- Cards not forming part of any meld are known as Deadwood
- Ace- In Gin rummy, Ace is a low card. For example- A♦ 2♦ 3♦ is allowed but but Q♣ K♣ A♣ is not allowed
- You can meld the cards into sets and runs as per the gin rummy rules. We have covered the valid combinations in a separate section below.
- Knocking- In the basic gin rummy, only a player with 10 or less deadwood points can knock.
It means that you lay out your hand with the combinations and deadwood separated. The other player then can lay out any melds in their hand. They can also meld their cards that fit into your melds.
You have lay down K♦ K♣ K♥. Your opponent can add K♦ from their deadwood to your meld therefore reducing their own deadwood.
- Knocking with no deadwood is known as going Gin (having a Gin hand). Knocking with some deadwood points is called “going down”.
This game is usually played by only 2 players. A normal deck of 52 cards is used.
However, if 3 to 4 people can play then each player is dealt 7 cards. The goal is to arrange the cards in hand into sets of cards or runs.
There are variations such as Tedesco gin which is played by 3 to 4 players.
As per gin rummy rules, after dealing the remaining cards are placed on the table face down. The top card is placed face up beside it forming the discard pile
There are 2 types of melding as Gin rummy rules:
- Sets- 3 or 4 cards which have the same rank, e.g. 7♥ 7♦ 7♠
- Runs or sequence- 3 or more succeeding cards of the same suit e.g., 4♥ 5♥ 6♥
These are melds where a set and a run share a common card.
For example you have 6♣ 6♠ 6♦ 7♦ 8♦. Here, there is a common card 6♦ in both the set and the run. This is called an intersecting meld and it is not allowed in Gin rummy rules.
You can either consider it as a 6♣ 6♠ 6♦ set or 6♦ 7♦ 8♦ run and the other 2 cards will be deadwood.
Stu Umgar was the best gin rummy player in the world. He had a very aggressive style of playing and could time his bluffs well. His opponents called his good memory a superpower.
He learnt the tricks of card games very early in life and won his first tournament at the age of 10. By his early 20s, Stu was so well known as a great rummy player in New York that opponents started refusing to play with him as they were afraid of losing.
He was so skilled that after defeating other great gin rummy players in Las Vegas, casinos refused to allow him to enter their premises. The casinos found they lost other professional players who were afraid of playing against Stu.
A player melding all the cards (going Gin) first wins the round. The winner gets 25 bonus points plus the points of the deadwood of the other player.
However, if the winner had knocked earlier then the 25 bonus points are not received for later going out.
Value of cards:
- Ace=1 point
- 2-10= face value
- K, Q, J= 10 points
If a player knocks, and cards are laid off then the knocking player gets the points equal to the difference between the two hands.
For example, you knock with 7 points and the other player has 11 deadwood points in their hand after laying off. Then you get 11-7= 4 points
Undercut (or under knocking)
This happens when the defending player has a deadwood count equal or lower than you (knocking player). In that case, the defending player gets the difference in deadwood in the knocking player's hand along with an undercut bonus of 25 points.
In straight gin rummy, knocking is not allowed. Players must play till one of them goes gin. The other gin rummy rules remain the same.
GetMega will offer additional features which other Rummy platforms may not offer.
- Customer Support: We believe the key to customer satisfaction is customer support. We provide the best customer support when it comes to any issues regarding gameplay, transaction and withdrawal requests. We have a team of Customer Support executives who can support any query regarding only your game issues 24×7. So, just chat with us using our app and get your queries resolved quickly. Also, we have an extensive blog where we have explained the different versions of the rummy card game along with the rules.
- Game Interface: The game interface of GetMega is clean & minimalistic that the player can make a move with minimum interferences. The basic colour layout and dark theme make it easy on the eyes of the players.
- Promotions: There are new and exciting online rummy promotions every month and the best rummy players are rewarded via leaderboard promotions and special tournaments. The cash prizes range from Rs.10,000 to 1 lakh.
- Suitable for all players: GetMega offers different tables ranging from ₹1 to ₹4000 and beyond to suit all types of players
- Protecting the players: GetMega protects the players who might be at risk of potential negative effects of gaming through various means. We have zero tolerance for Deceptive Practices and ban any player who does any deceptive practices
With this our article on gin rummy comes to an end.
There are many Indian card games which are very popular on GetMega such as Rummy. Play contests and tournaments with 100,000+ players and win more than 10,00,000 on GetMega. Download the Rummy app now!