Rummy Sequence, Series, Pair And Set Rules
Table of content:
Rummy is a beloved card game in India played by many. Do you want to play with your friends and want to know the rules? We have already covered the basic rules of the rummy card game in a separate article. In this article, we at GetMega will help you to get an idea about the sequence of rummy and rummy set .
GetMega is an amazing platform that lets you play with friends & family on video-chat with real money.
Sounds fun, isn't it? Download the app now!
The object of any rummy card game is to meld the cards, i.e., build combinations of cards into runs or sets. Different versions of rummy may have specific combinations but the basic combinations- Sets, Sequence and Series remain the same.
Sets in rummy
Three or more cards of the same rank in different suits is called a set in rummy. You can use a joker or a wildcard also to form sets.
Example of rummy set:-
- 2♦ 2♥ 2♣ 2♠
- A♥ A♣ A♦
- 9♦ Joker 9♠ 9♥
Other rummy set rules
- In some sets in rummy, you can have four cards. So, if you have a rummy set of four cards and you are using an additional Joker, then in total it becomes a 5 card set.
- Some versions of rummy card games, such as Indian rummy, do not allow the same rank and suit to repeat twice.
- K♥ K♥ K♦ (There are two Ks of the same suit ♥)
- 7♠ 7♥ 7♦ 7♠ Q♥ (The wild card Q♥ is valid but two 7♠ makes it invalid.)
Sequence in rummy
Three or more consecutive cards of the same suit is called a sequence or a run. You can use a joker or a wildcard also to form a rummy sequence.
There are two types of sequences in rummy- a pure sequence and an impure sequence.
- Pure sequence in rummy: It is a sequence without Joker/wildcard
- Impure Sequence- It is a sequence with Joker/wildcard
In some versions of rummy, (such as our popular Indian version), there must be at least one pure sequence in your hand in order to win.
Examples of rummy sequence
- 5♥ 6♥ 7♥ (Pure sequence)
- 5♦ 5♣ 5♠ Joker (Joker is used instead of 5♥ )
- 5♦ 5♣ 3♥ (Here wildcard 3♥ replaces 5♠)
- 5♦ 5♣ 3♥ Joker (Here wildcard 3♥ replaces 5♠ & joker replaces 5♥)
Other rummy sequence rules
- A valid sequence of rummy must have a minimum of 3 cards at least but can have more than four cards.
- In most rummy card games, Ace works as both a low and a high card.
- In many rummy versions, you must use the Ace either as a high or as a low but you cannot go "around the corner." For example,
- Ace, 2, 3- Allowed
- Q, K, Ace is allowed
- Q, K, Ace, 2 is not allowed as Ace is both high and low at the same time
Remember, different versions of rummy have different rules for sets and sequences. Before starting the game, it’s best to go through the rules of that particular version. Please click here to read the different versions of rummy on our blog.
Having fun? Why not try out your rummy skills on GetMega.
Just like this game, GetMega has 12+ games on the app including Hold'em Poker. With 10,000+ daily players on the app, you can win up-to Rs 1,00,000 everyday. Download the app now!
In this section, we will explain a fun easy version of rummy- Rummy garbage.
In rummy garbage, the goal is to form your cards into a sequence,starting with the ace, before other players.
- 10 cards are dealt to each player which are placed face down in card spots numbered 1 to 10.
- If you draw a numbered card , then you must place the card in the corresponding spot. For example, if you get a 4 then place it face up in the 4th spot.
- The earlier card (face down) in the 4th spot is flipped up and placed accordingly
- When you are unable to move further, discard 1 card and end the turn.
- Once any player has flipped up all their cards, other players get one more turn.
- If you have flipped all 10 cards, then you have to fill up only 9 in the next round.
- The first person to flip an ace in the last round wins the game.
With this, our article on sequence in rummy and rummy sets comes to an end. You can start playing with your friends and family on GetMega.
Just like this game, GetMega has 12+ games on the app including Hold'em Poker. With 10,000+ daily players on the app, you can win up-to Rs 1,00,000 everyday. Download the Rummy app now!