Who Is The God Of Cricket?
Table of content:
- Why is Sachin Tendulkar referred to as the God of Cricket?
- Cricket Records of Sachin Tendulkar
- Origin of the Term "God of Cricket"
- Famous Quotes on Sachin Tendulkar
- Who is the New God of Cricket and Why?
Cricket is more than just a form of sport, it has a much wider meaning for the country of India. Cricket has a very deep history in India as a game that it took from its colonizers and mastered. As the national cricket Team of India was looking for its next successor after the likes of legendary Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar, a young, average height possessing and a passionate player with curly hair came to sit on the throne, who is the god of cricket in world. Cricket has gifted the world with many legendary players throughout its course but it has provided only one Sachin Tendulkar God of Cricket.
There are a variety of games that you can play to enjoy with friends here!
Download the GetMega app now! Play some exclusive range of real-money games and challenging contests on GetMega.
It takes an extreme amount of effort to be a legendary player in the game who is praised by the fans, and it takes much more than that to be called a God of cricket in world. Indian cricketer, Sachin Tendulkar, who is the god of cricket in the world, has achieved a lot more than that to be rightfully named so. His high-tier cricket journey began very early, at the age of 14 when he represented Bombay in the Indian first-class domestic cricket, the Ranji Trophy in 1987. It was his incredible performance that made him the first-ever overseas player to be selected to represent Yorkshire in 1992. Before him, the team had never selected players from other regions, not even from the likes of other English countries. Since these early times, it has been a steady and upward rising growth and career success for Sachin Tendulkar. He did the unthinkable many times and changed the pace of the game with a few impossible flicks.
Apart from completing lots of milestones, and achieving a number of records and awards, Sachin Tendulkar was a great cricketer and an individual. He always remained calm and steady and is loved by every cricket fan. He never behaved aggressively and always answered questions on the field with cricket. And his unmatched batting skills and numerous records are not the only things that made him great. He was also a great bowler tool. Whenever he entered the field, with the purpose of batting or bowling, the fans just witnessed his outstanding and mesmerizing performance, standing on their toes. During his career, he had earned multiple nicknames, the popular ones including “Master Blaster”, “Modern era Bradman” and it is also him, who is known as the God of cricket.
When we look at Sachin Tendulkar’s career statistics and records, no question remains about who is god of cricket, anymore.
Sachin Tendulkar’s Batting Statistics:
Sachin Tendulkar’s Bowling Statistics:
These statistics from Test and ODI alone are enough to define how impeccable player Sachin Tendulkar, who is a cricket god, was on the field. Here are some of his highlight career records mentioned below:
Some of the Records of Sachin Tendulkar as the God of Test Cricket
- He holds the highest number of centuries ever scored (51)
- The leading run-scorer in this format
- He is also the joint record holder with Brian Lara as the fastest cricketer to have reached 10,000 runs
- He had scored more than 1000 runs in multiple calendar years, 6 times in total (1997, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2008, and 2010)
- Before he was 20 years old, he had scored a total of 5 centuries in this format to be the only player in cricket to do so
- He holds the record of 29 Test centuries scored overseas
Some of the ODI Records of Sachin God of Cricket
- He holds the highest number of centuries ever scored (49)
- He holds the highest number of half-centuries ever scored (96)
- He had also scored the most number of centuries within a calendar year in 1998 (9)
- He also holds the title of scoring the most amounts of 150+ runs in this format
- He has received the most number of “Man of the Match” title awards (62)
- He has received the most number of “Man of the Series” title awards (15)
- He has the most “Man of the Match” title awards in World Cup matches (9)
Sachin Tendulkar, who is the cricket god, has received multiple nicknames throughout his career and the title of the God of Cricket remains at its top. But there hasn’t been any concrete proof of the real origin of the term. Sports fans often regard their favorite players with titles that offer the highest form of honor. And it is believed that with the total number of legendary achievements of Tendulkar, his presence and overall performance have made millions of his fans chant his name as the Cricket God in synchronization. However, there are some popular beliefs that talk about the alleged true origin of the term. Some say the term was first coined after an Indian fan hoisted a hand-made banner that read “If cricket is our religion then Sachin is our God.” A few also believe that the term was first thought of by a huge admirer of world god cricket, Sachin Tendulkar, Matthew Hayden, who is a former Australian cricketer.
Throughout his eccentric cricket career, Sachin Tendulkar has received numerous praises and words of encouragement and acknowledgment. And a lot of them actually came from cricket professionals and high positions holding officials around the globe. There are a lot of famous quotes on Sachin Tendulkar, and to name a few, here are some;
- "I saw him (Tendulkar) playing on television and was struck by his technique, ..... I never saw myself play, but I feel that this player is playing much the same as I used to play..."- Sir Donald George Bradman, the Australian Cricket legend
- “The only batsman I would love to see by paying for the tickets and sitting in the stand just to watch him is none other than Sachin Tendulkar.”- Brian Lara, cricket legend from West Indies
- “I have seen God, he bats at no. 4 for India”- Matthew Hayden, former opener for Team Australia
- "Nothing bad can happen to us if we're on a plane in India with Sachin Tendulkar on it.”- Hashim Amla, former South African batsman
- “I don’t know cricket, I don’t know how Sachin plays. But I still try to watch him play because I want to know why my country’s economy goes down 0.5% when he’s batting.”- Barack Obama, former President of the United States
- “If I’ve to bowl to Sachin, I’ll bowl with my helmet on. He hits the ball so hard”- Dennis Lillee, former Australian bowler
- “When you bowl at him (Tendulkar) you are not just trying to get him out, you are trying to impress him. I want him to walk off thinking ‘that Flintoff, he’s all right isn’t he? I feel privileged to have played against him”- Andrew Flintoff, former England Cricketer
These are some of the greatest quotes from cricket legends and important personnel around the world. that defines Cricket God Sachin Tendulkar perfectly.
After Sachin the god of cricket took retirement from all of cricket, a huge vacuum was created in the sport. Many players were considered to be the next replacement for Sachin but no one could actually achieve that level of greatness, to be the God of cricket now. So the question that strikes up now is who is the new God of Cricket? Among the various contenders for the new god of cricket in the world, if we see current playing statistics, player’s performance consistency, career achievements, records, and influence, the name of another Indian cricketer comes into consideration and it is Virat Kohli, who is the new god of cricket, as referred by fans. Kohli, regarded as the current god of Indian cricket, himself looks up to Tendulkar as one of his idols and with this incredible performance, he could possibly match to be known as the new god of cricket world.
There are many reasons to consider Virat Kohli the New God of Cricket in the world. To date, Kohli has already scored 43 centuries in ODIs and 27 centuries in Test matches, which makes a total of 70. He can surpass the god of world cricket, Sachin’s record with 7 more centuries in ODIs. He is also the only player in the world to have an average of 50+ in the three cricket formats. Currently, he is ranked second on the Men’s ODI batting rankings of ICC with a rating of 811, and his performance in this format truly makes him top the list of the new cricket god in the world. He has scored 12311 runs in ODI and 8043 in Test matches, which speaks of his potential, he also ranks near the top in T20, and many address him as the god of T20 cricket. Kohli, the present god of cricket, is also the only captain since 2016, to have scored the most amount of double centuries as a captain in the Test cricket matches. Other than that, Virat Kohli, the current god of cricket, led the Indian Cricket team as their captain for a long time and was a god of IPL captain. He had also received numerous awards, completed plenty of achievements, and made new records in the world of cricket. Many even consider Rohit Sharma to be the second God of cricket now. With the current god of cricket Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma has the stats and potential to be called the 2nd God of cricket, and he is often called the God of T20. As of now, Kohli is referred to as the current first god of cricket and Rohit Sharma, the T20 god of cricket, can be considered to be the third god of cricket. Former player Sunil Gavaskar is also regarded to be a member of the top 10 gods of cricket list.
GetMega is a trending app that offers huge variety of games to its users. Download the app now! With 10,000+ daily players on the app, you can win up-to Rs 1,00,000 everyday.