Continental Rummy or International Rummy
Table of content:
- How to play continental rummy?
- International rummy rules
- Scoring parameters
- Continental rummy hands and other parameters
- How do deals work on GetMega?
Rummy is a very popular card game worldwide. There are many different variations of rummy. In this write-up, we at GetMega, will explain about international rummy. We have separate articles on the basics of a rummy card game and the different versions of the rummy. Click here to read them on our blog.
GetMega is an amazing platform that lets you play rummy with friends & family on video-chat with real money. Download the app now!
International Rummy is considered as a forerunner of the different variations of rummy which use two decks of cards.
It is also called Continental rummy because it originated in continental Europe (mainly in the Czech republic and Slovakia where the game is called Žolíky) and later spread to the United States, Mexico, Canada, and South America. Earlier it was very popular among women, usually played during afternoon tea, but later Canasta became more popular
Object of the game
The object of International Rummy is to have the lowest points after playing seven hands. Usually 2 decks of 54 cards each (52+ 2 jokers) are used in this game.
Number of cards
If there are more players then the number of decks is calculated as follows:-Minimum 2 decks Number of players ➗ 2. The number is rounded up if required. For example:
- For 4 players- 2 decks
- For 5 players - 3 decks
- For 6 players - 3 decks
- For 7 players - 4 decks
- For 8 players - 4 decks
In Continental rummy, Jokers and red Aces are wildcards. Aces are considered as both high and low cards.
All the players draw 1 card each- the player with the highest card becomes the dealer.
- 12 cards are dealt to each player
- The remaining cards are placed on the table (stockpile)
- You have to draw a card from the stockpile or the discard pile.
- You have to meld the cards as per the continental rummy hands rules
- The player melding/laying down first wins the hand
- The player with the lowest score after 7 rounds wins the game
In Continental rummy, The player melding/laying down first wins the hand. The winner gets 0 points.
You get points (negative) from the unmelded cards in your hand.
Value of each card is as follows:
- Joker = 50 Points
- Ace = 11 Points
- K, Q, J = 10 Points
- 2 – 10 = Face Value
If you drop the cards and discard the final card in a single turn, you will get a bonus of 10 points (which is reduced from your penalty score).
There are 7 continental rummy hands each having a different combination of sets and runs,
The combinations seven continental rummy hands is as follows:
Other international rummy rules
- Trios are a set of 3 cards of the same rank
- Deal mentions the minimum number of cards for the hand's opening requirements.
- All players move to the next round together, irrespective of whether they were able to actually complete the earlier hand.
GetMega does not have Pool Rummy. However, we have a Points Rummy variant which is a maximum of 80 points per hand.
With this our article on international rummy comes to an end. Isn’t it fun to know all the types of rummy card games such as california rummy and London Rummy?
There are more Indian card games which are equally popular. Rummy is one such game on GetMega. Play contests and tournaments with 100,000+ players and win more than 10,00,000 on GetMega.
Download the Rummy app now!