500 Rummy & Rules of the Game
Table of content:
- How to play rummy 500 and the rules of the game?
- What is the discard pile in rummy 500?
- Variants of rummy 500
- Aces in rummy 500
- What are the scoring parameters in rummy 500?
- How many players can play rummy 500?
- How many players can play together on GetMega Rummy at a time?
Rummy is a popular card game both in India and in other countries. Different variations of rummy are played in various parts of the world. We at GetMega, are bringing to you the different versions of the rummy card game through a series of articles. In this article, we will explain about 500 rummy. We have also covered the basics of a rummy card game in a separate article which you can read here.
GetMega is an amazing platform that lets you play with friends & family on video-chat with real money.
Sounds fun, isn't it? Download the app now!
500 rummy is a popular version of the rummy card game. The canasta version of rummy is said to have originated from rummy 500.
500 rummy has many names such as pinochle rummy, Michigan rummy, Persian rummy. This game can be played by 2 to 8 players, but it is most suited for 3 to 5.
This version is different from other games in that here the player reaching 500 points wins. The points are won for melded cards and lost for unmelded cards remaining in the hand when someone goes out. Also you are not restricted to only the top card of the discard pile. You can take a card lower down in the pile also.
How to play rummy 500?
- 500 rummy uses a standard deck of 52 or 54 (2 jokers).
- The number of cards dealt depends on the number of players. (covered in a different section)
This version is played similarly to any rummy card game. You have to meld the cards by making sets or runs of 3 or 4 cards.
What are the rummy 500 rules?
- You can take the top card of the stock or any card from the discard pile. The rummy 500 rules for the discard pile are slightly different, which we covered below separately.
- You can lay down your melded cards during your turn, after drawing but before discarding. You can lay down a group of cards or add to cards already laid down.
- You have to discard 1 card from your hand.
- Jokers (if used) can represent any card you choose, even if that card is already used in another meld.
- The round is over when one player has melded and laid all the cards or there are no more cards left in the stock pile.
- There is usually no bonus for finishing first.
In this version, you can select any card from the discard pile (not just the top card). However, when drawing a card from the discard pile, you must follow the rules below:
- You must take all the cards on top of (i.e., discarded after) the card you want.
- The selected card must immediately be used. You can use it and lay down a meld or add it to a meld already on the table.
- The other cards drawn from the discard pile may either be melded or will be added to the hand.
There are many variations of 500 rummy out of which we have covered 3 popular ones as follows-
Dealer's gambit- There are 2-4 jokers used in this game. Also there are no penalties for holding a joker in hand once a round is over.
Partnership 500 rum- This is played in a partnership. 4 players form 2 teams and the partners face each other across the table. The partners try to play off on each other's matched sets and runs to go out as soon as possible.
Persian rummy- Here, a 56 card deck (52+4 jokers) is used. Jokers cannot be used as wildcards but must be melded into sets of three or four jokers (like any other card). Jokers cannot be used in a sequence. 1 joker has 20 points.
Aces in rummy 500 can be used either as the highest card (Q♠ K♠ A♠) or the lowest card ( A♠ 2♠ 3♠).
In some 500 rummy games, “going around the corner" is allowed. This means, you can make 1 sequence where Ace is both high and low (e.g. Q♠ K♠ A♠ 2♠).
If going around the corner is not allowed, then you have to make separate runs (Q♠K♠A♠ and 2♠3♠4♠)
Value of aces
When an ace is used as a high card then the points are 15. If it is used as a low card then the points are 9. In some games, ace (as low card) can have 1 point or 5 points.
In this section we will cover the rummy 500 card values and how to calculate the score.
Rummy 500 card values
- The face cards have 10 points.
- Aces, used as high card, has 15 points
- Joker (used as wildcard) has 15 points.
- All other cards (2-9)- Points are same as face value
- Ace ( low)- 9 points
In some games, Ace (low) may have 1 point or 5 points.
Some players prefer to keep all Ace-9 cards as 5 points to simplify things.
Rummy 500 rules scoring
Once the round ends, the points are summed up. Other players add up their hand and reduce that from their total score for that round.
Cards in hand=70
Total score of round= 30
However, if the round ends because the stock pile was exhausted then players do not subtract the value of their hands.
In this game, the number of decks and cards change depending on the number of players.
- In case of 2-4 players, only one deck of cards is used.
- If there are 5 or more players, then two decks of cards are used.
- For 3-8 players- 7 cards are dealt to each player.
- In some games, even for 5-8 players only 6 cards are dealt
- For 2 player game, 13 cards are dealt
The dealer is selected before starting the game. Once everyone is seated, each player draws a random card from the card deck (face down). The person having the lowest card becomes the dealer.
At GetMega, a maximum of six players can play together at a single table.
With this our article on 500 rummy comes to an end.
Having fun? Why not try the GetMega app where, just like this game, there are 12+ games including Hold'em Poker. With 10,000+ daily players on the app, you can win up-to Rs 1,00,000 everyday. Download the GetMega Rummy app now!