Want To Know The Best Chess Opening? This Article May Help You.
Table of content:
- The basics of chess openings
- Different types of chess openings
- Tips for improving your chess opening
- How to find a chess opening that suits you?
- Tips to win games at GetMega
Chess is all about strategy but what builds to the ultimate strategy that decides the fate of the gameplay starts from the chess openings. They are the prologues to your chess game and they have the potential to overturn a game in the early stages upon commencement.
Chess opening moves are critical. They are the building foundations to your midgame strategy and if you make blunders here, chances are you are going to have one of those short 2-7 moves checkmates.
Download GetMega App and have non stop fun with your family!
Download the GetMega app now! Play some exclusive range of real-money games and challenging contests on GetMega.
In any chess game, you need to keep a keen eye on the chess opening and consider your pieces with great deliberation before you make a move. Some of the best chess openings always involve occupying the center of the chessboard at an early stage and castling the king for safety.
Given the complexity of chess opening games, today, we will take some time to discuss the various aspects of a good chess opening and all the types of chess openings you can opt for. We will also help you identify the best chess opening that is well-suited to your style of playing.
There are several factors that constitute the chess opening moves. These basic concepts of chess openings lay the groundwork for the middle game and endgame strategies so let’s take a look at what they are:
1. A good chess opening allows you to develop your pawn structure
If you observe the great chess openings or the most common chess openings, there is one thing that they all share. They aim to open up the game board with chess opening moves involving the D, D, or E-pawns. These are the central pawns on the chessboard and once they are in the middle of the board, you can play flanking moves to protect these pieces, thus leading to an incredible and impenetrable chess opening.
In the later stages of the game, these pawn structures play an important role in determining the outcome of your chess strategy.
2. It provides feasibility to develop the major pieces on the game board
The best opening chess moves allow you to develop the major pieces. When you start with the pawn structure, you don’t necessarily need to develop the entire structure in the chess opening stage. You need to move around the major central pawns in order to liberate the bishops and queen.
In most chess openings, you will see that the movement of the pawn facilitates the movement of the bishop. However, the second move in most popular chess openings continues with the development of the knight followed by the bishop.
In any case, chess openings help free up the required space to develop even your queen, thus allowing your king alternative means to castle.
3. The best opening chess moves permit the formulation of an attack strategy
When you analyze the top 10 chess openings for either color of the pieces, you will often find that most of the groundwork for attack strategies is formulated during the chess opening.
Once you start developing your pawn structure and the major game pieces in the chess opening moves, you will find inordinate opportunities to create vulnerability for your opponent’s pieces. You can often instigate two-weakness points for certain pieces and break their pawn structures to accommodate direct attacks on the king.
4. The top 10 chess openings allow room to protect your king
The great chess openings of all times always focus on pawn structure and piece development as a means to castle the king. Your chess king’s protection is your top priority since castling the king implies you can launch a substantial attack to divert your opponent’s attention.
Try to castle your king within 4 to 9 moves during the chess opening to reduce the risk of a checkmate.
Using these basic concepts, you can learn the best chess openings for beginners and transpose them to the most famous chess openings that typically lead to winning games. Your chess strategy will develop over time and so will your chess opening tactics to befit advanced gameplay.
There are different types of chess openings that befit the player with the white pieces and the player with the black pieces independently. Here are the most common chess openings that you must know at a beginner or even an advanced level of chess gameplay:
1. To know the best opening chess moves for white
Since white plays first, you have quite a few strategies that you can transpose to using the following chess opening moves:
- E4 – The E4 or King’s pawn chess opening is the most common move for players with white pieces. It allows you to charge towards the center of the chessboard with two steps aggressively, thus establishing a sense of dominance.
This is a good chess opening to transpose to the Italian game, the Ruy Lopez, or even the King’s Gambit.
- D4 – The D4 or queen’s pawn chess opening is the second-favored opening move for players with the white pieces. It also establishes a piece in the center of the game board and helps transpose to tactical chess strategies.
You can start with D4 and move on to the English opening, the Queen’s Gambit, or even the Indian attack strategies, particularly the King’s Indian attack.
- Nc3 – The Nc3 is another popular chess opening move for the player with white pieces. You can easily transpose to aggressive strategies when using the Nc3 move for two reasons. Firstly, your king is absolutely guarded with no vulnerability due to a pawn’s movement. Secondly, it allows you to develop sneak attacks on your opponent’s pieces due to the knight’s incorrigible movement.
2. To know about chess openings for black
The player with the black pieces must always focus on the strategy that white’s chess opening leads to and play a tactic or gambit that counters it. Thus, the following response moves are ideal to know about chess openings for black:
- C5 – The c5 is the most common chess opening for players with black pieces since it transposes to the Sicilian opening. It is one of the best tactical moves against most of the opening strategies used by white.
You can move into the Najdorf variation or even transpose to one of the Indian Defense strategies.
- D5 – Another popular way to open the gameplay for black is with d5, i.e., the queen’s pawn. You can develop a queen’s gambit from here on while occupying central positions on the chessboard.
- E5 – The third powerful chess opening move for black is e5. It is another central pawn, and more importantly, the king’s pawn. Therefore it opens up a pathway for the queen or a bishop to develop soon after.
- Nc6 – The final best chess openings move for black is Nc6. This is essentially used in symmetrical strategies or when black wants to transpose to complex aggressive strategies.
There are also variations for these popular chess openings for black and white. The other chess opening moves involve taking single steps with the D or E-pawn, moving the C-pawn, or even the F-pawn in some cases. Be aware though that moving the F-pawn by single steps in chess openings could lead to a 2-3 move checkmate game.
You can also employ chess openings involving c6 for black to transpose to the Caro Kann defense. You can also opt for strategic a5 pawn moves for black as a means to occupy the opponent’s territory vertically.
Since chess openings are such important components in a chess game, it is only fitting that you keep upgrading your chess opening moves. Don’t worry, we have a few tips that you can follow to slowly develop improving your chess opening consistency, thus leading to a substantial midgame.
Here are the tips that you can follow:
1. Fight for the center of the chessboard
The center positions of a chessboard, i.e., the D4, D5, E4, and E5 squares are the most critical. Whichever player has dominance over these 4 squares, or the majority of them can launch extensive attack strategies against the opponent.
You can pair the bishops or rooks at the central positions, thus limiting the opponent king’s movement, which is a great tactic to deliver a checkmate. In order to do that, you need to have central pawns or major pieces keeping the central positions occupied and properly flanked during the chess openings.
2. Have a structural idea for your minor chess pieces
Based on the development structure of your minor pieces, i.e., knights, bishops, and pawns, your chess openings will lead to mid-game opportunities to capture and dominate the chessboard.
In order to accomplish this, you need to have an idea of how you will open and place your minor pieces. Start by developing the pawns to liberate the bishops and then focus on developing the knight. Place them in ideal spots where if the game leads to an open setup, then you can dominate with the bishops. If, on the other hand, the opening chess moves of both players are indulging closed strategies, then you can clear a path with your knights.
3. Move a piece only once during the chess openings
Make it a point to move any piece only once during the entirety of the chess openings.
Developing chess pieces are important to formulating distinguished chess strategies. Development of a piece implies moving it for the first time, so you need to ensure that most of your pieces take at least one step during the chess openings. This way you can develop numerous pieces by the time you reach the middle game. Additionally, you also exercise considerable control over the center of the chessboard.
4. Provide protection for the King
Protecting your king is the entire objective of gameplay. Therefore, Castling the king should be a priority.
During the chess opening, focus on developing the major pieces on at least one side, either the kingside or queenside, to allow your king to castle. The king’s side castle is ideal for both players since not only does it take fewer moves to accomplish but the level of vulnerability is also low. On the queen’s side, however, there are 3 squares to occupy the castle and a small opening would put your king at a disadvantage.
Castle your king, preferably kingside during the chess opening moves. It is best if you achieve this within the first 4 to 10 moves.
5. Keep the Queen out of harm’s way till the end of the chess opening moves
Just because capturing the queen doesn’t end the game, we tend to underestimate the power and importance of protecting the queen.
Develop a chess strategy to allow your queen to develop at a later stage, preferably once all the other pieces have been developed and your king is castled.
Of course, if the king’s castle on the kingside was rendered obsolete, you will have to develop the queen. Make sure she is not out in the open though. As tempting as it seems to release the queen onto your opponent’s territory for slaughter in chess openings, it puts the queen at risk.
Some of the best openings for beginners involve protecting the queen as much as the king. It helps develop tactics wherein the queen is not surrounded by the opponent’s pieces when rendering her attacks.
6. Aim to identify and weaken the opponent’s chess opening strategy
Finally, the most important thing that you need to do during the chess openings is to identify if your opponent is playing one of the most popular chess openings or developing their own progressively.
Most of the great chess openings offer variations that you can play to weaken them. For instance, if white plays the English opening, black can counter with the Sicilian since they transpose into one another.
When you can identify your opponent’s strategy, it makes it easier to choose one of the best chess openings, which complement that of your opponent’s. Thus, you may be able to juggle a few variating strategies to inadvertently diffuse your opponent’s best opening chess moves for white or black.
Your opponent finds it difficult to contain the chess opening strategy that they used, thus weakening their defenses by the middle game or endgame.
Use the tips mentioned above and mix them up with the top 10 chess openings. You will notice how steadily your pieces develop towards a conclusive opening each time that provides you with better control over the chessboard.
As you can probably tell by now, choosing the best chess opening for you can be a herculean task. There are so many different aspects to consider such as which pieces you might play, how the opponent might respond to your moves, etc.
Tough as that may seem, you still need to identify the chess openings that best suit your style of playing, otherwise they start to seem forced, thus tipping off your opponent. Here are a few ways that you can identify the types of chess openings that suit you:
- Analyze your previous gameplay strategies. Do you tend to make more aggressive moves or play defensively?
- How comfortable are you with playing king or queen’s gambits?
- Do you prefer playing a certain chess opening move because you see more benefits or because it is a popular strategy?
These questions will help narrow down your choices.
As a beginner or even as an intermediate player, you will want to stick to 2-3 chess openings for black and 2-3 for white. Eventually, you will notice how much your gameplay is affected when you play the comfortable moves for you.
Experiment a little and choose a style that delivers the most proximal advantage for your pieces. However, do not stick to single opening moves. Once you develop a knack for strategizing on your own, practice using the starting chess move in variations to keep your opponent off-balance.
GetMega is a site that is dedicated to providing a multiplayer platform to play games and earn a lot of money. Unlike most play-and-earn platforms, GetMega features popular games like Poker, Chess, rummy, Pool, etc. which makes it that much easier to earn money since we know the games.
Still, here are a few tips to win the games and start earning money on the GetMega platform:
- Start by accumulating a lot of bonuses. GetMega offers you bonus gems for signing up to the platform and using your referral code to successfully invite someone to the site. These gems have monetary values that you can use to start playing games on GetMega.
- In the initial stages, when you play using the gems, get an idea of how the interface works and how to adjust the parameters of the game. Thus, familiarizing yourself with the functionalities of each game will help you win more easily.
- If you are uncertain about how a game is played, or you simply don’t seem to be winning, use the abundance of data available on the GetMega platform to learn new strategies and tips. Not only will you win more games, but you can also win games with higher stakes using good strategies. You can even end up learning new games with higher earning potential.
- Know the game well and play a few rounds of low-stakes games to try out new strategies that you learned. You can modify the popular strategies to suit your personal style of playing before entering tournaments and contests with pro-level players.
Winning the games on GetMega is solely dependent on your progressive skills in the game, which you can easily learn on the site itself. It is easy to win on GetMega if you know how to play the game since there are no bots involved and the security protocols monitor user interfaces to detect colluders and scammers. Therefore, if you use a good strategy, you will win a lot of games on GetMega quite easily.
Yeah definitely! It is possible earn while playing games with GetMega!
Download the GetMega app now! Play some exclusive range of real-money games and challenging contests on GetMega.