Mexican Rummy - All You Need To Know
Table of content:
Rummy is very popular worldwide. Variations of the rummy card game are played in various parts of the world. For example, in India, Indian rummy or paplu (13 card rummy) is extremely popular.
We at GetMega, are bringing to you some of these different versions of rummy through a series of articles. In this article, we will explain about Mexican rummy. This version is very popular particularly in Mexico and other parts of Southern America.
We have also covered other variations such as Indian rummy, Russian rummy, rummy 500 and also the basics of a rummy card game in separate articles. Please click here to read them on our blog.
GetMega is India's favorite Rummy app with best in class interface and real players. With 10,000+ daily players on the app, you can win up-to Rs 1,00,000 everyday. Download the Rummy app now!
Mexican rummy can be played by 2 to 8 players. The number of decks to be used will depend on the number of players-
2-4 players= 3 decks
5-6 players= 4 decks
7-8 players= 5 decks
Object of the game
There are 11 hands called phases. Each phase has a particular combination of cards in order to complete the phase. The first player to complete all the 11 phases is the winner.
How to play Mexican rummy
- 11 cards are dealt to each player in each hand of Mexican rummy
- The remaining cards are placed face down on the table (stockpile). The top card from the stockpile is placed face up on the table beside it. This becomes the discard pile.
- The player on the left of the dealer starts the phase, and the round progresses in a clockwise manner
- During your turn, you can draw one card either from the stockpile or from the discard pile
- Your turn ends when you discard the card
- Your aim should be to make the combination of the phase. We have explained the combinations below
- Once you have made the required phase of the hand you should try to get rid of the remaining cards in hand (called hitting). You can add cards to other laid down phases whether your own or belonging to other players
- However, hitting is allowed only after your own Phase is already laid down.
- The first person laying down all the cards (going out) is the winner of Mexican rummy.
In this section we will explain the Mexican rummy rules for phases and for calculating the score.
Mexican rummy rules for phases
In each phase, you have to meld the cards as follows:
- You can make only 1 phase in each round.
- If you are unable to make a Phase in one hand, you have to try to make the same phase again in the next hand. Therefore, during the course of the game, different players will be working on different phases.
- You must lay down the full phase and cannot lay down partly formed phases
- You can lay down more than the basic requirements of a Phase. However, it must be such that the additional cards can be directly added to the cards in the Phase.
- Phases have to be made in order and cannot be skipped. For example, you are trying to make Phase 3 (1 run of 7) and lay down a run of 9 cards. This qualifies for Phase 3. However, you cannot skip and claim it as phase 7.
- You will receive credit for the Phase when you lay it.
Score as per Mexican rummy rules
- The first person laying down all the cards (going out) is the winner.
- The winner gets 0 points. Other players get points for the cards still in hand.
- In case of a tie in a phase, the person with the lowest score is the winner.
- At the end of 11 phases, the player with the lowest score wins the Mexican rummy game.
The value of the cards-
- Ace = 20 points
- King, Queen, Jack & 10 = each has 10 points
- 2- 9 = 5 points each
With this our article on Mexican rummy comes to an end. There are more Indian card games which are equally popular.
Rummy is one such game on GetMega. Play contests and tournaments with 100,000+ players and win more than 10,00,000 on GetMega. Download the Rummy app now!