Wild Card in Poker?
Table of content:
- What is a wild card in poker?
- Jokers as wild cards and bugs in poker
- How is wild card poker much better than regular poker?
Wild card in poker generally signifies an element of surprise that makes the game interesting with players not knowing what the substitute cards can be. And this by all means makes it totally different from playing the regular poker game. Using the concept of wild cards in poker allows players to make high ranking hands more often than usual, adding more enthusiasm to the game. Here, we discuss in detail about wild cards in poker, their variants and they can be used in your games -
Wild card in poker is a card that is used in place of another card as per the player’s choice. In other words, one can call it a substitute card. For example, if you had the King of clubs and you consider that to be your wild card, you can replace it with any other card from the deck. So, if you were to play a 5-card draw, substituting one of the weaker cards with an ace would allow you to make a full house with your hand.
Jokers by nature are considered to be wild cards. One can use the joker cards that come with the deck of cards to introduce the concept of wild cards in the poker games. If the term “bug” is used to refer to your wild card or joker, it essentially means you cannot be using those cards as a substitute. However, you can consider those cards as an ace if not to complete a straight or a flush. Hence, the joker can be used as an ace which isn’t all that bad considering the number of combinations one can do with it.
Wild card poker games are much more fun and exciting given the amount of suspense it holds with not revealing the hidden truth. It is known that holding a wild card is much better than having any other card from the deck as it lets the player explore other possibilities to win the game. Some of the varieties of wild card poker is discussed below –
· Unrestricted wild cards – In this variety, the player is allowed to use the wild card limitlessly and can use it to substitute any other card from the deck regardless of their suit or rank.
· Restricted wild cards – In these kinds of poker games, the usage of wild cards comes with restrictions where the joker can be substituted only by an ace and not by any other card, as discussed before.
· Shared wildcards – Shared wild cards in poker refers to the fact that every other player in the game also has at least one wild card with them. This means that you wouldn’t have any additional benefit over the other players unless you are holding more wild cards than them.
· Player specific wild cards – These cards can be held and used only by one specific individual and cannot be shared with other players. While playing these cards, the number of wild cards is decided prior to the game and hence, if you end up with no wild cards, you might be at a huge disadvantage when compared to others.
· Indicator cards – The indicator cards are used to decide on the wild cards but cannot be used by players in their hand. The cards which have the same rank as the indicator card are supposed to act as wild cards, but the indicator cards are never to be used during play.
· Directional wild cards – These cards are usually used in the low-high split games where there is a specific direction that the wild card is dependent on and is announced by the player. In this, King plays the low hand and deuce plays the high hand.
Now that you know all about the wild card in poker, it is time to use it for real. Download the GetMega Poker App and start playing a variety of games.