The Term Blocker Bet In Poker
Table of content:
- What exactly is a blocker bet?
- When and how to use blocker bets?
- Risks of blocker bets and how to counter them
Everyone starts their poker journey as amateur but enthusiastic players, and this leads to us undermining a lot of things that poker has to offer and this could turn out to be a major rookie mistake. As beginners, you might always be on the list of experienced players who would want to take advantage of you and raise the bet to a larger value. Don’t worry when blocker bets are here to save the day. Beware, as this could go either way; if your opponent spots your blocker bets, it is a great chance for them to earn a couple of bucks but if they don’t, well, way to go champ!
Given below are some of the ways you can use and strategize blocker bets in your game and how it can efficiently help you win.
GetMega is an amazing platform that lets you play Hold'em Poker with friends & family on video-chat with real money. Sounds fun, isn't it? Download the GetMega Hold 'em Poker now!
A blocker bet is a small sized bet that you can make to ensure that your opponents do not make a large bet, especially when you are not in a good position. You basically bet around 20-30% of the pot and hope for your opponents to get confused about your hand and make lower bets. In fact the idea is to make them call and not raise on the preflop.
It comes in handy when you are unaware of the hands other people have and when you are not that experienced. Therefore, a blocker bet helps you keep it low and be cautious about the moves that your opponents can possibly play.
Knowing when to use blocker bets is as important as knowing how to use them. Here we elaborate on the specific situations you are meant to use them,
· Be cautious of being forced into a big bet in poker games having 1 on 1 pot, especially if you have been leading throughout and end up with a marginal hold on the river.
· It is a game changer to fold with a blocker bet during draws, which will go on to confuse the opponent and give you an upper hand.
· This bet could be of great use to avoid the opponent from betting on the river and make sure to bet with a hand that might win the showdown. In this case, you can easily get away with having the second-best hand at a cheap price.
While you might be tempted to use blocker bets anytime you feel unsure about your poker strategy, this may in fact come across as a weakness to strong opponents. It might end up being unprofitable and futile in the long run of the game. It is suggested that you do not use blocker bets against opponents who have exploited your weakness before.
There are some risks briefly associated with blocker bets that one would have to consider before using them in their strategies.
· As discussed earlier, if an opponent observes you using blocker bets frequently, this situation could prove to be a loose cannon. They might consider this as a weakness and begin bluff raising you.
· This contrived game of trying to read each other’s minds during poker games could sometimes end in a disaster. At lower stakes, players are never known to raise the bet as a deception strategy.
· If you have to repeatedly use blocker bets then that could mean that your opponent might be having a good run of form, where he/she is getting good hands on trot. At such instances, you should re-strategize and make sure that you come up with a potent gameplan.
Now that you know what blocker bets in poker mean, you should be able to use it more efficiently while playing games. Make sure that you are practicing daily on the GetMega app to become a pro at poker and win big money on a regular basis.