Probe Bet In Poker: Meaning, How To Use & Strategies to Win
Table of content:
- Probe bet poker – Explanation
- Top 2 tips for making probe bets in poker
- Probe Betting on Your Hands
- When to use Probe Bets
- When to avoid Probing
Bets in poker are commonly regarded as one of the most powerful weapons in any poker player’s arsenal. Rightly so, when used strategically the poker bets can pretty much knock out even the best of the players out of the game. Now, adding to the list of poker bets is another type by the name probe bet poker. Now, in this post, we have detailed the meaning of probe bet poker along with the top 2 tips for making probe bets in poker.
GetMega is an amazing platform that lets you play with friends & family on video-chat with real money. Sounds fun, isn't it? Download the app now!
Probe bet is described as the type of bet that is fired out of position during the turn or river rounds when the initial raiser decides to check back the action during the flop round instead of putting a continuation bet. What is a continuation bet? Well, when a player who raised pre-flop decides to place a bet during the flop round as well, he is said to be placing a continuation bet, better-known as C-bet.
Now, let us understand the basic concept of probe bet poker using a short example:
Let’s assume you are playing a game of Texas Holdem against an opponent, say Mike. Here, Mike begins the action and open-raises (an open raise is the first raise during the pre-flop round). Thereafter, you immediately cold-call the action from the big blind (In Texas Holdem if a player raises preflop and another player calls then the second person is said to be cold-calling). Furthermore, you check the action on the flop out of position and Mike checks back the action instead of firing a C-bet. Now, if you decide to put a bet out of position during the turn round then you will be said to be putting a probe bet poker.
Otherwise known as feeler bet or blocker bet, the probe bet poker is actually quite valuable and when used correctly might just help you win the pot as well. Most poker players generally use probe bet poker for 3 distinct reasons:
1) To win the pot during the turn or river rounds
2) To take control and gain an upper-hand in the game
3) To gather information on the opponent and build a bluffing spot during the river round
Having understood the basic meaning of probe bet poker, let us discuss the top 2 tips that you must consider before making probe bet poker in this section.
Consider the board texture
When it comes to probe bet poker, you must consider the board texture first and how it relates to your opponents and for that matter your hand range. Generally speaking, it is always considered a good idea to use probe bet poker when the flop shows lower ranked cards. This is precisely because with lower cards on the flop your opponents would likely have a hard time continuing with a C-bet even if the turn round shows a strong card. In such a situation by placing a probe bet poker you can easily take a lead and force your opponents to fold.
One key benefit of playing online poker games is that they generally show poker stats of the players, this in turn can help you gain a perspective about your opponents. Now, based on poker stats there are generally two types of players. First are the types of players who have a low C-bet percentage and as such only continue when they have made hands such as a pocket pair. Without made hands these players usually check back on the flop and generally pose as ripe targets for a probe bet poker. By firing a probe bet on these players, you can expect them to fold most times. On the contrary are the high C-bet percentage players who usually have balanced ranges and understand frequencies. Against these players you must play cautiously and fire a probe bet only when you have premium hands.
- Poker Snowie recommends probing betting 61 percent of the time in this situation and favors the proactive strategy, even on an Ace high board, which favors preflop perpetrators. This allows us to capture the pot right away, and if we are challenged, you can indeed upgrade or force our approach to the pot on heart rivers.
- Given that your competitor pushed through on the flop, it is doubtful that they hold a really powerful hand. Occasionally they'll have an actual beast, some bluff catchers, or opt to keep checking with a hand themselves, but in many circumstances, their hand will have delinquent spotting the flip probing bet and have to abandon on numerous rivers.
- Snowie like to bet out in these situations since we've gained backdoor advantage and our hand is partly concealed. Furthermore, our Ace outs may be solid as well, since there are lots of reasons to make the first move here and begin wagering out. If we are challenged, we can experiment with alternative tactics and stake sizes depending on the river card if we do not progress.
- When the rival examines folds frequently: Utilize your hand reading skills and make the river decision as and when required.
- When the Board is in favor of your range: One which is in your favor will obviously be tough for your rival to crack. Flops like 7♠5♦4♣, where you have opportunity to get more than 2 pairs of hands in our favor.
- When we have draw with no showdown value: The hands are ideal for probing since they have advantage but would hesitate to accept a bet from our rival. You can secure a win right away by betting them and even you fail to get a fold, you thereafter have to realize and make a decision whether to keep going with the bluff or not.
- When on your turn, Flop comes to an end: Because individuals like to wager their draws on the flop, they will frequently have a limited number of combinations of any draw that accomplishes and comes to an end on the turn.
- Having a hand comprising good value: Having good hand gives you an opportunity to make a pot and if your rival does not bet the flop then we should start making a pot larger.
- When your opponent has a bunch of strong hands: Having a stronger and much rigid hand when you are value betting against rival is vital and limiting and restraining bluffs is important.
- When we have a marginal showdown value hands: Under such circumstances, we have hands which have the potential to be great, but would battle to be challenged by lesser hands.
When the things are in your rival’s favor: When the things are not in your favor and when the flop is very less and high card appears on the turn
Looking to venture into the dynamic world of online poker? Well, just register on the GetMega app and start playing poker today.
|Deep Stacks in Poker||deep-stacks-in-poker|
|Float in Poker||float-in-poker|
|Gutshot Straight Draw In Poker: Meaning, Strategy, & Tips||gutshot-straight-draw-in-poker|