Full House in Poker
Table of content:
- What is full house in poker?
- Examples of full house in poker
- How to use a full house in your strategy?
Most of the poker players starting out on a game of poker would mostly try to obtain a “full house”. However, do you know the answer to the question of ‘What is a full house in poker?’ This hand is obviously supposed to be weaker than straight flush and four of a kind, but is stronger than a flush. The rank of the full house is determined by the value of the three similar cards matched by the hands to the board. Since the full house is talked about more than the other hands, there seems to be a general assumption among beginners that the full house is much stronger than the other hands, which is completely untrue. This article explains what is full house in poker and how to incorporate it in your poker strategy.
Full house cards meaning in poker is that they are a five-card hand consisting of one pair and three of a kind cards. The cards are meant to follow the expression X’s is full of Y’s, in which X signifies the three of a kind and Y refers to the pair part of the five-card hand. In different variants of poker, a full house is known to beat a flush but cannot beat a four-of-a-kind.
Hand 1 – A, J (Hearts)
Hand 2 – A, T (Diamonds)
Board - J♣J♦T♥T♠5♠
In this example, the players can utilize one of their face-up cards to make a full house on the table. In cases like these where one hole card is used to bring about a five-card holding, the relative value of the cards fairly decreases when compared to using two of the hole cards during the game. In this very example, Hand 2 gets a full house and needs to be cautious about losing it to the other player due to aggression or pressure.
Hand 1 - A (Hearts), J (Spades)
Hand 2 – Q (Clubs), Q (Hearts)
Board - A♠J♣J♦Q♠5♠
In this specific case, both the hands end up with a full house. The rank of the three-of-a-kind part of the full house decides the strength or value of the full house. Hand 2 wins the tie in this game as hand 2 makes 3 Queens as compared to hand 1 which makes three Jacks which gets overridden in value by the former. It should also be known that a tie cannot be broken with kickers.
· In Texas Hold’em, full houses are especially vulnerable and should be played fast with great action and aggression. This is because there is a high probability of other players in the table catching up and forming full houses of much greater strength.
· Try formulating your five-card holding with two hole cards to increase your chances of attaining a full house and maintaining it without other players trying to make a pass. However, you would need to be extremely careful while using one of the hole cards to make an underfull. The player also has to make sure that too many chips don’t find their way into the pot, as that could lead to overfull and the player might not be able to obtain a full house after this.
Now that you know the answer to what is a full house in poker, how about trying your hand at making such a hand in a real game? To play poker online, download the GetMega Poker app now.