Explain The Term Ghosting In Poker
Table of content:
Poker has come a long way from what it used to be a hundred years ago. Technology has made it possible for everyone to learn and play poker without having to go for paid or continuous classes, allowing you to imbibe the nooks and crannies of poker in your own time and space. However, it does have a downside - people being able to cheat in an undetected manner. Ghosting in poker is one such practice which should essentially be banned or made illegal, hence preventing players from getting cheated on and also allowing for there to be an ethical forum that everyone can trust. This article entails the meaning of ghosting in poker and the various aspects of it.
GetMega is an amazing platform that lets you play Hold'em Poker with friends & family on video-chat with real money. Sounds fun, isn't it? Download the GetMega Hold 'em Poker now!
Ghosting in poker refers to accepting or receiving help from another person to decide on your hands during the game (basically coaching the player). This could be in the form of a telephone call, video call, in-person or even if someone else is substituting instead of you. This practice of ghosting in poker is considered to be extremely unethical and is a form of cheating in the online forums. The major hurdle with this practice is that ghosting is difficult to detect in poker and can only be known if the players themselves surrender to using this form of cheating to get better at the game or even win it.
Ghosting and collusion are used interchangeably in poker and almost refer to the same phenomenon of cheating using another person’s help. This indirectly says that the player who is getting help isn’t skilled or experienced enough to be playing at the table, and can become a sign of disrespect to the other players who put in all their effort into the game.
Ghosting in poker briefly originated when skilled poker teachers were found schooling their students during live games. Even though this practice observed an evident decline as they began broadcasting poker tournaments, there were still suspicions of ghosting in poker happening behind the scenes that were not necessarily shown on television.
Cut to the 21st century where everything happens online, ghosting in poker switched mediums as well. There was no possible way of policing these players who played online poker games behind computer screens that cannot monitor the activity of the players and assess their honesty. You can now see skilled poker players taking to YouTube and other streaming channels to broadcast them playing live and also accepting suggestions from their audience. This can also be considered as modern-day ghosting in poker.
Some of the types of ghosting in poker that are prohibited are –
· Going offline and letting someone else finish the online game for you.
· Entering an online poker room in the middle of a transit, and allowing other friends who are proficient in poker to finish the game that you were supposed to play while changing your location.
· Playing along with friends for the same online game, and later agreeing to play instead of your friend if you get busted before them or get ejected out of the game.
· Calling up your friend over telephone or facetime when you have reached the final legs of the game, and asking for advice to maximize your cash and win rate.
· Using your friend’s or partner’s account to play along with yours, and cheating everyone else at the table to believe that it is two different players taking part in the game.
Now that you know all there is about ghosting, it is time to play poker online and not indulge in ghosting one bit. To do so, download the GetMega app now and register yourself.