Explain The Term Dealer In Poker
Table of content:
- What is the role of a dealer in poker?
- How does a dealer come into play in a home game?
- What are the necessary qualities to become a dealer in poker?
If you are planning on taking the journey of learning and mastering poker, then you need to be really good with different poker terms. Out of all the terms, dealer in poker might very well be the term that comes up the most. So, what exactly is a dealer and what does this person do in a game of poker? Let’s find out.
GetMega is an amazing platform that lets you play with friends & family on video-chat with real money. Sounds fun, isn't it? Download the app now!
A dealer in poker is the person who deals the cards to the poker players and ensures that every player is following the rules of the game. In casinos, you have a physical dealer while in online games, it is a computer generated virtual dealer. Here are some of the things that a dealer looks after:
· Dealing the cards to each player in accordance with the game being played
· Ensuring that everyone follows the rules and regulations of the poker variant being played
· Monitoring the size of the pot and if a player makes a wrong bet with respect to the pot size
· Helping players count their chips
· Maintaining players’ table decorum as much as possible
Well, casinos and online games have designated dealers so that the players do not have to perform any dealer duties. However, this is not true in home games because players too have to become the dealer. However, no one really wants to miss out on the action. As a result, the dealer in poker in home games changes for every game. Let’s say Player A is the dealer in the first game of Texas Holdem and hence has the dealer button. In the second game, the dealer button will be given to Player B and he/she will become the dealer. This way, the game remains fair and everybody gets to have a piece of action.
A dealer in poker has to have a strong sense of game, as he/she is the one that is marshalling the table in many ways. Here are a few qualities that a person should have to become a dealer:
· A dealer should know all the rules and regulations of the game being played at the table. To become a dealer at high-stake tournaments, you got to be really good at knowing the rules of not just one or two but multiple poker games because different variants are played there.
· A dealer should definitely have fast hands but without being sloppy. You have to deal or distribute the cards quickly but in a smooth manner. You have to be good at handling the cards because if you flip a card accidentally, then that card has to be mucked, which can alter the course of the match in a huge way.
· A dealer must have a calm head. It is very important because you never know what kind of players play on the table. While some can storm out on the game, some will be really quiet even after winning big money. You need to handle all the situations with equal calm.
· A dealer should have a poker face. Yes, you read it right. This is because there might be times where you understand what the players at the table are doing. However, you cannot reflect that on your face because a player can read that off your face and make his/her moves accordingly, which ultimately is unfair to the player at the receiving end.
So, now that you know what a dealer in poker means and their duties, you should focus on playing the game and getting more practice. To do so, download the GetMega app now and register yourself.