‘Chips are down’ in Poker
Table of content:
- What is the meaning of the phrase the chips are down and what is its significance?
- What should you do when the chips are down?
When we look at poker, the phrase the chips are down means that things are not going the way the player wants them to go. There are many different interpretations of the phrase, the chips are down. Many people believe that the phrase, the chips are down meaning that the player has decided to go all in and now is waiting on the cards. The literal meaning of the phrase, the chips are down can be seen in this example as when a player goes all in, all the chips are down on the poker table. If a player says that their chips were down but they are not anymore, it means that the player was going through a rough time playing the game but since then has recovered to reach a better position.
Some tips to help when a player is going through a rough time in the game are:
· Use the 3 bet strategy more often. You already know that to build big pots with your premium hands, you can 3 bet preflop. However, if you just use the 3 bet strategy with these cards, your opponents will soon catch on and begin to fold nearly every time you use the 3 bet strategy. You will need to 3-bet a sufficient number of bluffs in order to get paid off with your premium hands. The 3-bet bluff strategy helps you match your preflop approach, which disguises the power of your hand and makes playing against you a lot harder. Depending on your position, the position of the initial raised bet, the size of the raised bet and the stack sizes, the hands with which you can use the 3 bet bluffing strategy keep changing.
· Don’t use medium hands very frequently. They just end up bloating the pot. After the flop, medium strength hands can usually be played passively. If you play a hand too aggressively, like a middle pair, you risk causing your opponent to fold every hand you actually beat. These hand types appear to play best as bluff catching hands, as the weaker hands in your range are covered. This is very useful because when you check in the game, the other players sitting at the poker table and all of your opponents will not be able to bluff you very easily. The only exception to this tip is that a more advanced idea is to bet small with a medium-strength hand to deny equity.
· Try to not mess with your bankroll management in a time of winning. If you talk to every professional poker player, they all have a buddy who just wins big cash in a tournament and at the end, ends up spending all their winnings. It is very important to note that a game of peaks and troughs is synonymous to poker. You, as a poker player, will need to behave responsibly during the peaks to withstand the troughs. However, this does not mean that you should not enjoy your performance or be proud of it. On the contrary, it is important to cherish the outcomes that you are working so hard to achieve. Only note that going on a roll doesn't mean that you suddenly have become the best poker player in the world. Downswings, sadly, are possible.
· Taking advantage of string hands and playing them fast is always smart. When a player tests their flopped flush three or more times, it's a sad sight to watch and then that same player has to table their awesome hand combination awkwardly while their opponent decides to happily check back on the river. Too often, slow-playing is a common mistake made among players who fear chasing their opponents out of the pot. The best option in these cases is to fast-play your strongest hands in most situations, so you can actually build the pot and protect your equity at the same time. This does not mean that you end up raising big bets whenever you get strong hands. If you're unlikely to be outdrawn, you can slow-play your strong hands because there are not many cards that will stop you from getting big wins when all the community cards are unveiled, or the selection of your opponent is heavily weighted towards weak hands. If you ever feel confused, however, just bet. When your opponent folds, it does get very disappointing, but that's not almost as disappointing as being outdrawn or losing out on potential value.
· Start the tournament with the mindset of playing a cash game. The value of survival early in tournaments is overrated by many players. One of the most overlooked elements of the technique of tournament poker is this. Consider that you will have to at least double or triple your starting stack in order to finish in the cash. So you should play strong and aggressive poker early, instead of playing defensively, so you can build a stack and set up for a deep run. On the other hand, you can start using a more survival-oriented playing style if you find yourself close to the money bubble or a pay jump.
With this you have all the knowledge and information you need to understand the meaning of the term and phrase, the chips and down and everything you need to do in order to make your game yours again. Download the GetMega Poker app and play a game of poker with your friends now!
|Poker Rake Back: Meaning, Importance, & Offers In 2022||rake-back-in-poker|
|Small Blind In Poker: Meaning, & Top 2 Strategies to Win||small-blind-in-poker|
|In The Money in Poker||in-the-money-in-poker|