A Basic Texas Hold’em Strategy For All Beginners!
Table of content:
- Back to basics
- Your fail-safe beginner texas holdem strategy
- To sum up the beginner texas holdem strategy
Picking up any new skill or game can be a little unnerving – the challenges never seem to end. Even the most exciting of games (such as Texas Hold’em Poker) might give you the shivers. Worry not newbies, for given below, is a quick beginner texas holdem strategy to help you play this game with ease.
Practice makes a game perfect. Practice out your Poker skills here.
GetMega is India's favorite Hold'em Poker app with best in class interface and real players. With 10,000+ daily players on the app, you can win up-to Rs 1,00,000 everyday. Download the GetMega Hold 'em Poker now!
As excited as you might be to learn texas holdem tips for this much sought-after game, some basic rules about the play that needs to be kept in mind –
- The Blinds are placed after which each player is dealt with two hole cards placed face down.
- The first round of wagers proceeds clockwise from the blinds. The players must match the highest previous bet in the round or fold.
- Dealer burns the top card and deals the flop i.e. three cards on the table facing upward.
- Following this the second round of wager proceeds starting with the player to the left of the dealer.
- Dealer burns card and deals the turn i.e. a single card face-up on the table.
- The third round of bets proceeds as the second, after which the dealer burns a card and deals the river i.e. the fifth card face-up on the table.
- A final round of betting ensues, the procedure same as the previous two rounds.
- The players are to make the best five-card hand they can using table and hole cards.
- The players must reveal their hands in a clockwise manner (showdown). The winner takes the pot.
- Learn the rules, positions and poker hand rankings without fail
The hand rankings for Texas Hold’em, from the highest to the lowest, are as follows:
Memorize these as they will save precious time in the real game and empower you to make faster decisions on the table.
Choose an opening hand that will guarantee you some money
Playable hands in Texas Hold’em Poker game are listed below for your reference -
Perusing this table, will alert you about the importance of positions in this game. Select an opening hand only if you are aware of how it will make money after the flop.
Use the advantages that your position has to offer
- Do not pass up an opportunity that your position has to offer.
- For instance, having a good position will help you act before your opponents, or widen the starting range or even help you play a better game at post flop.
Start playing one table
- This is an excellent way to get experience and apply all the basics that you have learnt. You can also pick up crucial learnings on the way, like bankroll management, how to gauge your opponent's hands etc.
- Save multi tables for later.
Determine the bet size at each stage based on the table
- At the pre flop stage, it would be prudent to follow what’s happening at the table. Raising an odd amount could backfire.
- If you happened to raise at the pre flop, then a continuation bet in the post flop is warranted for. The recommended size of the c-bet is usually two third of the pot size. The size of this bet will help the other players gauge the strength of your hand, so think twice before making it.
- In case you would like to bluff to get an opponent to fold, then the size of the bluff must not overestimate what it would take for the other player to fold. It requires considerable studying of the opponent’s hand and position before such a bluff is made.
- Minimize bet sizing errors to the greatest extent possible as this might make or break your game.
Avoid limping at all costs
- Limping into pots when you are late in position will be like giving the blinds an easy pass and limping when you are out of position is risky as you could end up not getting any value for the hand. If you hit the top pair with a weak hand, then you will suffer the river when your hand is beat by a better kicker.
- The only circumstance where one must resort to a limp is when the game is really passive and you are likely to see the flop for a pair of cheap, speculative hands. So, raise or fold, attacking the game head on, rather than limping your way through.
Think about your opponent’s hand
- Try to glean as much information as possible from the very start – think about the opening, pre flop and post flop cards. A check, raise or call, can indicate the strength or weakness of your opponent’s hand. Also check for inconsistencies in action.
- Do not forget to factor in the board texture while you are trying to study the opponent’s hand. Dry boards will have lesser players with strong hands as opposed to wet boards. Take you time and do not rush while acting on the information that you have collected.
Know when to fold
- There is a popular saying in the poker world – “poker is as much about the bets you save as the bets you make”, therefore it is quintessential that the player knows how and when to fold to keep their bankroll intact.
- Avoid bluffing too much, at least in the earlier stages of your learning curve.
Use these simple texas holdem tips and tricks to improve your poker game and see yourself transition from a novice to a respectable player in the circuit.
If you are interested in playing online poker tournaments and win money, download the GetMega Poker App now.