Go Fish Card Game: How To Play, Rules, Strategies, Ste-up And More
Table of content:
- How to play Go Fish card games?
- What are the rules to Go Fish?
- Strategies to win Go Fish
- Why play games on GetMega
Go Fish is a playing cards game that is very popular among children. The premise of the game is simple and kids find the terminologies amusing. This game is not to be confused with the board game fishing go, go.
The objective of this game is to collect sets of certain numbers such as all the 5s in four suites, or all queens in 4 suits, etc. You do this by asking players if they have the cards you need, otherwise, you can fish them out of the stockpile
GetMega is an amazing platform that lets you play with friends & family on video-chat with real money.
Sounds fun, isn't it? Download the app now!.
Despite the popularity among kids, it is a game that involves strategic thinking, sharpened memory, and a little card counting. Therefore, Go Fish is an inviting game for any age group. Go Fish can be played by adults for entertainment and practice. The gameplay is interesting so give it a try.
Go Fish playing cards are the same as regular cards, so all you need is a deck of 52 cards and at least three players. You distribute the cards equally among the players at the table and an imaginary player. This imaginary player’s hand, i.e., the stack dealt for them is used as the stock.
For instance, in a game with 5 players, the cards are distributed to 6. Thus, each player gets 8 cards, including the imaginary player. The remaining 4 cards are also added to the imaginary player’s pile and set aside.
The player on the left of the dealer initiates the game by asking another player if they have a certain card. Let’s say they ask, “Do you have any 6s?”
If they do, then the player who was asked must hand over the card, or cards if they have multiples, to the one who asked. If they don’t, they say ‘Go Fish, Go Fish.’ The player who is instructed to go fish then waits for the other people on the table to ask questions till it is their turn again.
The way to go fish is to pick a card from the extra pile. Whether or not it matches your requirement, you must hold on to it while playing Go Fish.
The player who was asked in the last round is now in a position to ask questions and the turns pass this way. If a player completes a set by acquiring all the cards from their opponents or the stock, they put it on the table. The player with the most number of complete sets wins the game.
Here are the Go Fish card game rules:
- The cards are dealt equally to all the players present at the table and an imaginary player. If there are extra cards remaining after an equitable distribution, then they are added to the imaginary player’s pile.
- A player can ask for their desired card from anyone at the table. The asked player must answer honestly and hand over the card.
- If a player has to go fish cards from the stockpile, they lose their turn and must wait till the other players are finished with theirs.
- The player who answered the question by sending the asker to go fish gets the next turn. Therefore, it is possible for two players among a group to play between themselves for a while.
- The rules can be modified for the sake of variation so that if a player is asked for a card, they only need to hand over one even if they have two or more of that set.
- If an asker had to Go Fish then even if they completed their set from a card they just picked, they must wait their turn to present the set.
- If a player has finished all the cards in their hands by completing sets, they automatically win.
As simple as the game is, a little strategizing could help you win a game of Go Fish much faster.
- Always check to see if you have three of a set at the beginning of the game and aim to complete those sets first.
- Don’t shy away from giving away cards of sets if you have one or two of them. It would bring you closer to finishing the sets in your hand and end up with no cards before everyone else.
- Remember the cards other players wanted. Based on that, you can make educated guesses as to who has which cards and which ones are in the pile.
- It is good to Go Fish during the first few rounds so you can collect as many cards from the pile as possible.
It is a fun and easy game that helps children develop memory power and inculcates strategy. Grown-ups also play it to sharpen their brain and learn how to keep track of cards. This is a particularly helpful precursor to playing poker or rummy.
- How many cards in go fish?
The game uses a regulation deck of 52 cards.
- How many cards do you get in Go Fish?
Depending on the number of players at the table, you can have varying number of cards. For 2 players, each gets 17 cards. For 3 players, each gets 13 cards. For 4 players, each gets 10 cards.
- How many cards for Go Fish?
When you have to go fish for cards in the deck, then you have a stack depending on the number of players. For 2 players, there are 18 cards. For 3 players, there are 15 cards, and for 4 players there are 12 cards in the stack.
- How do you win Go Fish?
You can win a game of go fish by collecting as many racks of 4 suites in each number as possible. That means, if you have eights then get all the 4 eights in the pack. Same goes for other numbers. The sooner you finish racking your cards in sets and run out of individual fish playing cards, the sooner you win.
GetMega is an online gaming platform that allows people to play various trivia, cards, and casual games. The platform uses Facebook profiles for login so every player is verified before they start playing.
You can play games like poker and pool while you familiarize yourself with the rules and prepare for live games. You also have options to video call and chat with friends and family while you play for a realistic experience.
On GetMega, you stand the unique opportunity to earn real money while playing your favorite games. Not only that but by participating in paid leaderboards, you can win additional prizes such as gold coins and even mobile phones. That is just the cherry on top of our sundae.
GetMega is India's favorite card game app with best in class interface and real players. With 10,000+ daily players on the app, you can win up-to Rs 1,00,000 everyday. Download the GetMega Hold 'em Poker now!