The Variations In a 7 Card Stud Poker Game
Table of content:
Poker is a game which can take a lifetime to master. It's different variants and numerous strategies make this game more interesting. Each player is dealt with some cards, some of which are face up and some are face-down and go through various betting rounds across the deal.
Here we discuss another very popular variant of poker - the seven card stud game.
GetMega is an amazing platform that lets you play Hold'em Poker with friends & family on video-chat with real money. Sounds fun, isn't it? Download the GetMega Hold 'em Poker now!
7 card stud games were the most popular poker games until the arrival of Texas hold’em. It’s other names are “Seven-Toed Poker” or “Down-The-River”. Throughout any game of 7 card stud, the players are dealt with a total of seven cards but only the best possible five-cards are used to determine the winner. This game involves two to eight players.
It is different from Texas hold’em or Omaha as it doesn’t involve a flop and in most cases, it doesn’t involve any community cards at all. 7 card stud games are played with a limit betting structure and the bets are in fixed increments. In casinos, antes or bring ins are commonly used while in home games, antes are typically used.
The forced bets placed by the players before they receive their cards are known as antes. This is also referred to as the cost of being dealt into the hand. All the players ante a nominal amount in the starting of each hand.
The game begins when each player receives two face down cards and one face up card. After that, the player having the lowest ranking up card pays the bring-in. They must make either another nominal bet equal to the exact size of bring-in or a full bet of lower betting increment. Thereafter, the betting proceeds in a clockwise manner.
After the first betting round, another up card is dealt to each player. On this and the upcoming betting rounds, the first player to act on the hand will be the one whose face-up cards make the best poker hand. This second round is followed by a third up card round and betting round, fourth up card and betting round and finally a showdown.
Therefore, to sum up, 7 card stud games involve “two down, four up, and one down”.
Like poker has numerous variations, 7 card stud in itself has many different variations where each player is dealt with a set number of cards. It’s not necessary that all of these variations can be found within casinos but you can always enjoy them online or play at home.
- Down the river: This is the most basic kind of 7 card stud poker game and this is why it is sometimes used in place of 7 card stud. It can be found in almost all the poker rooms.
- Mississippi: This variant removes the betting round between fourth and fifth street making only four betting rounds. The betting structure, here, resembles that of Texas hold’em and there are the same number of down and up cards.
- High Low Stud: This is commonly found at online poker rooms. Here, the rules remain the same but the pot is split into two at the end of the hand. The player with the highest hand and the player with lowest hand split the pot evenly.
- Roll Your Own: In this game, there are four rounds of two cards and each are dealt down. Each player is supposed to roll one card to face up, followed by a betting round.
- Queens and After: All Queens are wild in this game. The card is also wild which is dealt face up and follows the Queen. Now if another Queen is dealt face-up, all the cards will change to whatever follows this Queen.
- Baseball: 3s and 9s are wild in this kind of game. A player with 4 dealt face up gets an extra card.
- Low Chicago: Half of the pot is covered by low spade in the hole. Incase of high chicago, low spade converts to high spade.
- Acey Ducey: All the aces and twos are wild in this variant.
- Razz: It is a lowball form of seven card stud. The objective is to get the lowest possible hand.
7 card stud poker games are as interesting as they sound to be. With these many variants, it can be enjoyed differently in the casinos and over the internet. The rules might look different from those of Texas hold’em but they are not as difficult to learn.
If you have never tried any variant of 7 card stud game, visit the GetMega App now, sign up and start playing.