How to Play 5 Card Stud Poker?
Table of content:
- What is the basic objective behind playing a 5 card stud poker game?
- What are the basic betting rules for 5 card stud poker?
- What are the two basic rules for 5 card stud?
- How to play 5 card stud poker?
The 5 card stud to say the least is the easiest form of poker available worldwide. However, that’s not all apart from being super easy this game is actually quite popular as well. Yes, the rules for 5 card stud is one of the only games that has been consistently shown in a lot of movies and TV shows around the globe. Rightly so, the 5 card stud is the longest running poker game till date with its origination dating back to the 1860’s. Besides, since the rules for 5 card stud are fairly easy this game is therefore played with a lot of different variations. In this post, our sole aim is to enlighten our readers with the basic rules for 5 card stud poker and how to play this one-of-a-kind poker game. So, let’s get started.
The objective of 5 card poker is rather simple - Each player has to make the best 5 card poker hand possible to win the game. Then as per rules for 5 card stud the player with the best hand after the fifth betting round generally wins the pot.
1) A person in each round can either choose to bet or “check”, which means pass the action of bet to another player.
2) If a person bets, then as per rules for 5 card stud any other player can either “call” the bet, meaning place the same bet as the one put by the previous player, “raise” increase the previous bet or “fold”, become ineligible to win the current game.
3) However, according to rules for 5 card stud if a player checks at his turn and another player makes a bet, the player who checked then has the option to raise the bet made by the other player. This in simple terms is known as “check and raise”.
There are two main ways to play 5 card stud poker - Ante and Blinds. Here, we will be focusing on the ante method of playing as it is one of the most common systems used in the live games around the world. Now, this version has two broad rules for 5 card stud:
1) Ante - According to the rules for 5 card stud, each player in the game first places a fixed amount of money in the pot to enter this game. However, unlike blinds, instead of two players, all the players in the game put their money into the pot. Now, ante bets in general are quite a small amount. For instance - if the small bet is Rs.100 and the big bet is Rs.1000 then the ante bet will be anywhere between Rs10 and Rs.200.
2) Hole Card - In the beginning of 5 card stud poker, each player is basically dealt 1 card face down. Now, according to rules for 5 card stud, this card is known as the hole card. Once the hole cards are allotted, then the next card (otherwise known as door card) is allotted to each player, face up.
Since you are playing an online game, the ante will be put in the pot by default and the two cards (one face up and other face down) will also be allotted by default. Now, according to rules for 5 card stud poker it is time to open the deal or initiate the first betting round.
First betting round
This round of betting usually starts with the player with the lowest card by value and suit. According to the rules for 5 card stud the bet placed by the first player is known as the “force” or “bring-in” bet. Now, in the event that two or more players hold door cards of the same suit, then the lowest card is decided based on the suit. The rules for 5 card stud state that suits in general are ranked from highest to lowest based on alphabets i.e spades>hearts>diamonds>clubs. This in other word means that two of clubs is the lowest possible card in 5 stud poker and the one holding this card will therefore start this betting round. The first betting round is by far the only betting round in the 5 card stud poker where suits play a crucial role.
Third street and second betting round
Once the first betting round comes to an end, the players will then be allotted another card face up by default. This card according to rules for 5 card stud is popularly called the “third street”. Thereafter the second betting round will begin wherein the player with the highest two-card value (door card plus the third street) will first place a bet. This is popularly known as “having the action”. Now, the player with the best hand on the board has the option of either placing the lower limit bet or higher limit bet. In case the player chooses to put a lower limit bet then as per rules for 5 card stud poker, any other hand which is still in the game can choose to either raise on the lower limit or put a higher limit bet itself. However, once the higher limit bet is put by any other player then as per rules for 5 card stud all further bets and raises will be made at the higher limit only.
Fourth street and third betting round
After the completion of the second betting round the fourth card or “fourth street” is allotted to each player by default in the online game. Now, as per rules for 5 card stud the third round of betting will begin starting with the player with the highest three-card value (door card plus third street plus fourth street). In this round and all further rounds of 5 card stud poker the bets and raises will thereafter be made at the higher limit only.
Fifth street and fourth betting round
Finally, the fifth card or “fifth street” is allotted to each player in the game. Here on, the fourth and last betting round will begin again starting with the player with the highest four-card value (door card plus third street plus fourth street plus fifth street). In fifth street too as in fourth street all bets and raises are made at the higher limit only.
After the completion of all the betting rounds, the players who are still left in the game open their hole cards. Thereafter, as per rules for 5 card stud poker the player with the highest hand according to the official poker hand rankings generally wins the pot.Now, that you know how to play 5 card stud poker and the basic rules for 5 card stud. What are you waiting for? Enjoy a game of 5 card stud from the comfort of your home by playing this game online on the GetMega app.